Replatforming Project Management
Ecommerce teams often struggle with the best approach for a replatforming project. There are so many variables that it’s hard to know where to start. This is where I help; my approach ensures the project is shaped to your unique requirements and applies a tried & tested framework.
A lack of attention to detail during platform selection will result in your ecommerce platform failing to satisfy business needs, which has the following impact:
- Puts unnecessary stress on your team
- Costs you more in the long term, as you have to pay to fix issues
- Creates operational inefficiency because the platform isn’t aligned with business needs.
I’ll help you understand what resources you need, define a clear RACI to map roles & responsibilities and get the fundamentals of good project governance defined and implemented.
As a starting point, it’s essential you have Board level sponsorship to ensure your website migration project is effectively supported throughout its lifecycle.
My proven platform selection framework ensures you get the right focus. I’m on your side – I want your project to be a huge success, so my experience and energy will help motivate your team.
Ecommerce platform selection process
Below is an outline of the 10-step process that will guide you through the challenges of project set-up, market evaluation and ecommerce vendor selection.
- Project initiation – agree goals & objectives, define the project team, agree project management structure & process, roles & responsibilities, governance.
- Project plan – defines milestones, dependencies and review cycles.
- Project budget & scoping – identify business critical needs and functional requirements for the platform, define budget constraints.
- Document business critical requirements – stakeholder workshops to document key requirements.
- Internal documentation review – review with project team for sign-off
- Vendor shortlisting – filter vendors based on operational capability, functional needs and budget; recommend 2-3 based on cost/feature fit.
- Vendor demos – define scenarios & invite vendors to deliver focused demos. Liaise with vendors to build a 5 year TCO (total cost of ownership) cost model.
- Vendor evaluation – use a weighted scoring matrix to objectively compare the shortlist on feature fit and affordability.
- Due diligence – preferred vendor is selected and reviewed in detail.
- Contract negotiation – ensure contracts support ecommerce team with relevant SLAs.
Want to learn more?
If you would like to discuss how I can support your replatforming project, please contact James today or say hello on Twitter or LinkedIn.
Knowledge from experience
“The structure and rigour that James brought from the outset was invaluable, and gave me complete confidence that no stone would be left unturned throughout the complex process. James provided thorough written documentation every step of the way and always delivered in a very timely manner.”
Rachel Jones, Ecommerce Director, Victoria Beckham
FREE replatforming checklist
Get a detailed 26-page ecommerce replatforming checklist to improve the quality of your website migration project. Download now
Video Masterclass Series
Watch my ecommerce replatforming video series. There are 10 videos and each module is 3-5 minutes long, packed with advice and tips from real-life projects.
Ecommerce replatforming guides
- How to select the best ecommerce platform.
- How to build a realistic cost model.
Benefit from my experience working with clients including House of Fraser, RSPB, Victoria Beckham, The Wine Society and Zoggs.